Volunteer with Zero Carbon Guildford
We’re always looking for people to join our amazing team of ZERO volunteers. On this page you’ll find a list of our volunteer roles.
Don’t know which role to pick? Don’t worry, we want to hear from you no matter how you want to be involved. Just select the 'ZERO Volunteer' role, and we'll be in touch to talk about the ways you'd like to help out.
Once you’ve had a look at our roles, submit an application by clicking ‘Apply for this role’ on any role that interests you.
Already signed up to volunteer? Log in here to see the latest opportunities.
What Our Volunteers Say
"Helping at ZERO makes feel me involved in a bigger community of people all wanting to take action on the climate crisis." - Anna
"I have met the most amazing, kind and driven people in ZERO. And I finally feel I can be part of a positive change." - Li
Based in Zero, our vibrant town centre hub, you will be carrying out a variety of volunteering tasks including:
● Talking to visitors to the hub about environmental issues and the changes they can make
● Serving customers in our Zero waste shop and vegan café
● Helping us deliver a range of initiatives aimed at reducing consumption, better energy management and reducing waste.
● Assisting with the planning and running of events
● Helping with displays
● Keeping the space tidy and inviting for our customers
Projects you would be able to get involved with include a library of things, a green read share, community fridge, river quality testing, sustainable fashion, vertical farming, active travel, energy, circular economy/waste.
Community Fridge Volunteer
Zero Carbon Guildford runs the only town centre Community Fridge in Guildford, taking leftover food from local supermarkets and offering it to the local community for free, ensuring it doesn’t go to waste.
The Community Fridge at ZERO is entirely led by local volunteers who are
● Collect food from local supermarkets (own car needed)
● Weigh, check labels and display food when it is received
● Although the Community Fridge is “unmanned” with the public helping
themselves, provide help talking to the public to explain that the food is
freely available and the goal is to reduce food waste
● Ensure the fridge is kept clean and tidy
A Venue Custodian responsible for helping the ZERO team run a welcoming,
The responsibilities of a Venue Custodian may include:
● Showing prospective users around the space.
● Meeting and greeting booked users of the space.
● Running through fire, health & safety briefings with users of the space.
● Setting up room layouts as per each booking’s requirements
● Ensuring groups have tidied up after themselves and left the venue
● Checking and cleaning communal areas and facilities, including checking
stock levels for e.g. hand soap, loo roll, cleaning products.
During larger events, and at busier times, the Venue Custodian may be responsible for managing a small team of volunteers who assist the Venue Custodian to ensure the smooth running of events at ZERO.