What Is Zero Carbon Guildford Doing?

Zero Carbon Guildford’s objective is to help the borough of Guildford reach carbon neutrality by 2030. 

 

Only around 30% of Guildford’s emissions can be directly tackled by the borough or county council. The remaining 60-70% must be addressed through strategies aimed at reducing consumption, better energy management, and waste reduction.

 

This is clearly a HUGE challenge, and effectively impossible unless we all work to engage as many of our fellow residents as possible. 

 

We recognise that we can only succeed against existential threats - such as the climate and ecological emergency - if we work across political divides, viewing threats of an existential nature as a shared problem, which must be faced together, as a community. 

 

Once we acknowledge this, the diversity of our communities becomes a strength, allowing us to reach a powerful consensus which keeps fairness at its heart, protects the most vulnerable in our community, and allows us to view our differences as a crucial aspect in delivering projects and policy that help us survive - and even thrive - as a strong, resilient community, even when faced with global scale crises.

How Will We Do This?

We are acquiring a space to act as a Climate Emergency Centre, which we'll use for seminars, workshops, and events across a wide range of topics, exploring the ways we can make Guildford a pioneering town in eliminating waste, reducing Guildford’s emissions footprint, and improving community wellbeing. 

 

Zero Carbon Guildford will be providing practical advice and solutions to help individuals and organisations play their part in Guildford’s carbon neutrality target, whilst platforming the hard work already being done on environmental and social issues by so many folks in our borough.

 

By using the climate emergency centre to bring together the energy and ideas of those enthusiastic about tackling the challenges we face, we hope to inspire genuine change and ignite the sparks of a truly revolutionary approach to how a community can work together for the sake of its future, and its younger generations. 

 

Our planet is changing. Rapidly. We are not matching this pace of change. We need to devise new strategies on how we work, how we live, shop, eat, and connect with each other. We need to re-imagine how we function as societies, re-define our understanding of ‘progress’ and the economy, and begin to sidestep the destructive systems so many of us are trapped in. 

Zero Carbon Guildford hopes to build the framework to facilitate this transition.

Who We Are

We are an expanding coalition of local groups, businesses, and organisations putting collaboration and community building at the centre of a climate action plan. 

 

Zero Carbon Guildford was borne from the ackowledgement that groups working in silos we were losing the inspiration and power derived from community building, making it harder for us to achieve our goals. But by coming together to share resources, skills, and knowledge we have a far better chance of building a strong, well-functioning community that can survive the accelerating threats we face.

 

We welcome - in fact we need - people from every walk of Guildford life, from right across the political spectrum, to join us in mapping out our future as a town. It doesn’t matter what skills or experience you have, there are hundreds of ways you can get involved to help Guildford build a better future. 

 

We are faced with the certainty of a rapidly changing planet. This is undeniable. We can sit back and watch the climate crisis escalate out of control, and forever be on the backfoot, trying to desperately bail water faster than it pours in ( like we see in the countries currently struggling to handle the Covid-19 pandemic). 

 

OR we can immediately begin the process of building a strong, resilient, local economy and community, giving ourselves a chance to avoid the worst of the climate crisis through mitigation, whilst prudently planning for the worst through adaptation and resilience building.